Tour de Fleece!
Woohoo TdF 2019 starts TODAY! I’ll be honest, since opening the shop 8 months ago (seriously, 8 months! Where has the time gone?) I have done very little spinning – typical, right! Over the next 23 days however I plan on blowing the cobwebs off my wheel and working my way through my growing stash of fluffs!
After taking a hiatus from the Tour last year I am really looking forward to taking part again and this time I am also a Team Leader for the Perth Yarn Fest 2019 group on Ravelry along with the wonderful Hutch of Dye Candy and Rosie of Pixel Atlantis.
If you haven’t participated in Tour de Fleece before it is a worldwide spinning event which runs in conjunction with the Tour de France – there are no rules per se, unless you wish to create some for yourself! It is an excuse for you to challenge yourself, improve your skills and meet other like-minded spinners and everyone is welcome to participate – from complete novice to expert!
Ideas for you to consider:
– Spin 15 Mins a Day – if you are a newbie spinner or perhaps lapsed (I class myself in the latter category haha) try building up your stamina by spinning for just a few minutes every day over the course of the Tour.
– Challenge Yourself – always wanted to try spinning an art yarn or attempting long draw spinning but find there’s something stopping you? Well now is the chance to give it a try! You can either save it for specific ‘challenge’ days or use this time to explore different spinning techniques and fibre preps! I shall be using my challenge days to spin up some glorious hand dyed Masham locks that were gifted to me – they are also conveniently yellow which leads me to…
– Wear or Spin Yellow – As the TdF follows in the tracks of the Tour de France it is of no surprise that the colour yellow symbolises victory – save it for the last day if you like or wear/spin yellow on days when you are feeling most triumphant!
– Stash Bust! – we all have something in our stash that’s been sitting staring at us for years… use this time wisely and get it spun!
– Most importantly Have Fun!
The Perth Ravelry Team is open to all, even if you are not able to attend this years festival! Get involved, send us updates on your progress and get to know your fellow spinners – we’re a friendly bunch I promise! Also feel free to share your pretties with both @perthfestivalofyarn and myself @sealymacwheely on Instagram and Facebook!
Drama Llama Boxes Preorder
If you have been following my social media recently you should hopefully know that I have a range of luxury yarn and fibre boxes currently available for preorder. The Drama Llama collection is a luxury mystery box of alpaca and llama inspired goodies and is craft dependent and suitable for knitters, crocheters, spinners and felters!
Preorders are limited and shall be running until MIDNIGHT on Sunday 14th July so be sure to get in quick! You can check out more information or order your box here
Batt of the Day & TdF Giveaway!
In conjunction with the Tour de Fleece I shall be releasing a OOAK Batt of the Day for every day of the Tour!
If this wasn’t enough I am also running a TdF giveaway both online and in the shop! Make any spinning related purchase (including Batt of the Day and Drama Llama boxes) to be entered into the prize draw! Competition will be running until Midnight on 28th July, winner to be drawn at random and will be announced on social media.
I am delighted to announce that Sealy MacWheely is the UK’s newest stockist of Ashford Wheels & Looms!
The full range of spinning and weaving equipment and accessories will be making their way onto my online shop in the next few weeks and I shall be adding a shiny new Kiwi 3 to my shop demo squad for you to try before you buy in addition to my faithful Traddy and Traveller (Seònaid and Ariadne)!
Knitting & Crochet Awards
At risk of blowing my own trumpet, the British Knitting and Crochet Awards are currently open and I am super proud to have been shortlisted as Best Local Independent Yarn Shop in Scotland!
To have made it this far after just a few short months of opening is honestly a dream come true and I am so grateful to everyone who nominated Sealy MacWheely for this award.
Voting is open until the 29th August and can be accessed here
(Lisa from For the Love of Yarn and Verity of Truly Hooked have both been nominated for a variety of amazing awards too, both of whom you can find at Sealy MacWheely – be sure to give them some love too!)
I could keep going but I think that’s enough information to throw at you in a single blog post! Have a fantastic summer and enjoy TdF if you are participating!